- Multi-threaded runs handle exceptions and signals more reliably. Partial fix for issue #26.
- Shared thread read tests clear the caches of connections and the database in a more controlled way, more closely modeling the expected behaviour. Previously the cache clearing was non-deterministic. See issue #28.
- When using gevent, use its Event and Queue implementations for better cooperation with the event loop.
--min-objectsoption to ensure that the underlying database has at least a set number of objects in place. This lets us test scaling issues and be more repeatable. This is tested with FileStorage, ZEO, and RelStorage (RelStorage 2.1a2 or later is needed for accurate results; earlier versions will add new objects each time, resulting in database growth).
- Remove the unmaintained buildout configuration. See issue #25.
- Add an option to test the performance of blob storage. See issue #29.
This is a major release that focuses on providing more options to fine tune the testing process that are expected to be useful to both deployers and storage authors.
A second major focus has been on producing more stable numeric results. As such, the results from this version are not directly comparable to results obtained from a previous version.
- Add support for Python 3 (3.4, 3.5 and 3.6) and PyPy. Remove support for Python 2.6 and below.
- ZODB 4 and above are the officially supported versions. ZODB 3 is no longer tested but may still work.
- Remove support for Python 2.6 and below.
- The old way of specifying concurrency levels with a comma separated list is no longer supported.
Command Line Tool¶
The help output and command parsing has been much improved.
- To specify multiple concurrency levels, specify the
-coption multiple times. Similarly, to specify multiple object counts, specify the
-noption multiple times. (For example,
-c 1 -c 2 -n 100 -n 200would run four comparisons). The old way of separating numbers with commas is no longer supported.
- Add the
--logoption to enable process logging. This is useful when using zodbshootout to understand changes in a single storage.
--zapto rebuild RelStorage schemas on startup. Useful when switching between Python 2 and Python 3.
- The reported numbers should be more stable, thanks to running
individual tests more times (via the
--test-repsoption) and taking the mean instead of the min.
--dump-jsonto write a JSON representation of more detailed data than is present in the default CSV results.
- Add support for testing with BTrees (
--btrees). This is especially helpful for comparing CPython and PyPy, and is also useful for understanding BTree behaviour.
- Add support for testing using threads instead of multiprocessing
--threads). This is especially helpful on PyPy or when testing concurrency of a RelStorage database driver and/or gevent. Databases may be shared or unique for each thread.
- Add support for setting the repetition count (
--test-reps). This is especially helpful on PyPy.
- Use randomized data for the objects instead of a constant string. This lets us more accurately model effects due to compression at the storage or network layers.
- When gevent is installed, add support for testing with the system
monkey patched (
--gevent). (Note: This might not be supported by all storages.)
--leaksto use objgraph to show any leaking objects at the end of each test repetition. Most useful to storage and ZODB developers.
- Enable continuous integration testing on Travis-CI and coveralls.io.
- Properly clear ZEO caches on ZODB5. Thanks to Jim Fulton.
- Improve installation with pip. Extras are provided to make testing RelStorage as easy as testing FileStorage and ZEO.
- The documentation is now hosted at http://zodbshootout.readthedocs.io/
- Updated to MySQL 5.1.65, PostgreSQL 9.1.5, memcached 1.4.15, and libmemcached 1.0.10.
- Moved development to github.
- Added the –object-size parameter.
- Updated to memcached 1.4.5, libmemcached 0.40, and pylibmc 1.1+.
- Updated to PostgreSQL 8.4.4.
- Updated to MySQL 5.1.47 and a new download url - the old was giving 401’s.
- Buildout now depends on a released version of RelStorage.
- Initial release.